Utilization of high volume fraction of binary combinations of supplementary cementitious materials in the production of reactive powder concrete

Research output: Contribution to journalResearch articleContributedpeer-review


  • Mohammed S. Nasr - , Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University (Author)
  • Zaid A. Hasan - , Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University (Author)
  • Mohammed K. Abed - , Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University (Author)
  • Mohammed K. Dhahir - , Institute of Concrete Structures, University of Al-Qadisiya (Author)
  • Wissam N. Najim - , Al-Qasim Green University (Author)
  • Ali A. Shubbar - , The Islamic University, Najaf, Liverpool John Moores University (Author)
  • Zuhair D. Habeeb - , Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University (Author)


The reactive powder concrete (RPC) is one of the special concrete types that characteristics with high cement content which means high production cost and CO2 emissions to the atmosphere. Therefore, to enhance the environment as well as to develop green RPC, alternatives to cement, such as supplementary cementitious materials (SCMs) were used. Limited studies addressed the use of a high volume fraction of SCMs as a binary combination in the production of RPC. Thus, this study aims to replace a high percentage of cement (50 %) with binary combinations of silica fume (SF), type F fly ash (FA) and metakaolin (MK). The experimental program included two phases. In phase one, two groups (SF + FA and MK + FA) were cast without steel fibers. Based on group performance in the first phase, one group was chosen to be used with steel fibers in the second phase. The flow rate, compressive and flexural strengths, density, ultrasonic pulse velocity and dynamic modulus of elasticity tests were conducted. The phase one results showed that SF + FA combination mixtures had better performance than MK + FA mixtures thus they were selected to be used in the second phase (with the addition of 1 % volumetric fraction micro steel fibers). Results indicated that it is possible to produce sustainable RPC in which the cement can be replaced with 30 % SF and 20 % FA (the total replacement is 50 %) in the presence of 1 % steel fibers with a remarkable enhancement in compressive strength and flexural strength reached up to 44 % and 10 %, respectively.


Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)335-343
Number of pages9
JournalPeriodica Polytechnica. Civil Engineering
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 14 Dec 2020



  • Cement replacement, Reactive powder concrete, Supplementary cementitious materials, Sustainability